Monday, April 4, 2016

Manic Monday

I guess a lot of y'all, much like my human, aren't too fond of Mondays. That whole wake up early, get dressed, and drive somewhere thing is such a pain in the ass. Luckily, that wasn't something I had to deal with in my previous incarnation.

When I first moved to Tampa in early 1964 my beloved strongly suggested I get a job. I didn't exactly see the point since he'd set me up in a decent little apartment, but he said he'd get me a car to replace the Stingray that Roger made me give back to him after our nasty breakup. The little 1961 MG convertible wasn't nearly as awesome as my Stingray, but it was a pleasant shade of orange. So I put on one of my knockoff Chanel suits I'd made myself and set out with the intention of hitting up a few of the nicer local boutiques to see if they might be in need of a seamstress.

I scored in the first shop I set foot in, a little place on Armenia within walking distance of my beloved's office. The lady who owned the place was quite impressed with my suit and couldn't believe I'd sewn the whole thing myself with out even cutting out a pattern. I just saw a photo of Jackie Kennedy, thought I liked her outfit, and went from there.

The nice lady suggested I work with her on the sales floor during the afternoons on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to get to know her clientele and then I could stay in the back in sew on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The salary was quite nice for 1964 so I became a working girl.

That lasted about 2 1/2 months. My beloved quickly realized that my working was cutting into our fun time. And that his wife liked to frequent the boutique. Plus I really wasn't very good about coming in on time or talking to people I didn't care for. The shop owner really did admire my seamstress skills though, so she agreed that I could come in a couple of days a week to collect my orders for alterations or custom jobs and then return them a few days later. This allowed me to work from home at my own pace and we had a nice arrangement that lasted through the 1980's. I even sold a few of my custom pieces on consignment as well as my spell candles under the guise of pretty little colorful candles.

That arrangement gave me plenty of spending money and allowed me the freedom to work on my own terms. I was terrible sad when the shop owner decided to retire in the early '80's. I decided I should retire as well since I didn't care much for the new owners of the place. So I guess my first job was really the only job I ever really held.

No comments:

Post a Comment